Wednesday 22 February 2012

Well, Paint me Purple and Call me Barney!

A couple of weeks ago the lovely Michelle was having a de-stash, and she very kindly sent me 4 skeins of Lion Brand Cashmere Blend, in Dusty Blue. My Mum was there as I was opening the packet, as soon as she saw the yarn she asked if I'd make her a pair of mittens. After a quick flick through the wonder that is Raverly, I found the Irish Hiking Scarf Armwarmers by Delia Rau Cholakian and set to work!

The yarn is 72% Merino wool, 15& Nylon and13% Cashmere, so the yarn is soooooo incredibly soft. I could sit and cuddle it all day. Such a shame that the yarn was discontinued, but Lion Brand do have another Merino & Cashmere mix yarn which I'm really hoping to have a go with in the near future.


The glove pattern is really fun and simple, and I have been really enjoying knitting it! It took me around 2 hours to knit the left hand glove, which is quite quick really. My Mum really loves the gloves, but as she has Arthritis she asked me to knit a thumb on them.

'Right...' I said. I've not knitted with DPNs on my own before so the panic set it. Thoughts rushed through my head:

'I'm gonna ruin them... they're going to be a mess... I have trouble knitting with two needles, never mind five... how am I meant to knit a thumb without a pattern??'

But I dug through my needle case and found some 5mm DPNs, cuddled up in my bed and just went for it. Using 4 DPNs I picked up and knitted about 20 stitches (really should have counted) and knitted away.

Well paint me purple and call me Barney, it actually worked!

Now I've had this little victory, I'm going to bite the bullet and start those socks again.

So, this evening I'm going to do the second glove and maybe even cast on for my pair of socks. How exciting!!

So now you've seen what I'm working on this week, head on over to Work in Progress Wednesday, where Tami is knitting a beautiful pair of socks. Once you've finished over at Tami's, get over to Ginny's for this weeks Yarn Along!

16 thoughts:

  1. Your gloves look lush! Your mum must be well chuffed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gloves look wonderful, well done with the improvising, the best thing about knitting your own stuff is you can have it just the way you like it. The yarn sounds heavenly

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Awesome work with the thumb. I always end up with little holes that I have to go on the inside and sew closed when I picked up thumb stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great gloves, though the yarn looks brown to me, maybe I need to change my glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh they are coming out gorgeous!!! I love the cables!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely mitts. I need to make myself a pair as the dogs ate my other pair. This might have to be queued up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous glove! Well done on conquering the DPNs - it just gets easier from here on in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lovely pair of gloves- good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good. There's no need to fear the DPNs now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never fear the DPNS ;) The gloves are gorgeous...love the cables.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome fingerless mitts. I love wearing them and have knit all sorts of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your gloves must be very warm and I'm sure your mom must appreciate that. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...