Friday 30 November 2012

Hello, Sailor!

I took a break from blanket knitting, and decided to have a go at some baby clothes. I've been wanting to attempt the Seamless Yoked Baby Sweater, but I've been too scared. I decided to be a coward and knit something brainlessly simple, and that pattern came in the form of the Super Simple Baby Tunic by Little Gunn.

I had some yarn leftover from the Royal Blue stripe of the Seven Seas Blanket, but I knew it wouldn't be enough for the pattern, so chose to do stripes using Stylecraft Special Double Knit in White.

With the Tunic you have a choice of knitting in the round, or knitting flat. As I only had straight needles with me at the time, I had to knit flat, although if you try this pattern I urge you to do it in the round!

For the striping, I copied luvabby's project. If you want to give it a go, I've included the instructions on my project page.

The project was really simple, and I enjoyed knitting it. As I didn't have much yarn, I knitted the 0-6 month size, I would have loved to do ages 1-2, for my niece Daisy, but unfortunately the pattern doesn't have those sizes. So, it looks like I will have to design one! :D My new book, 400 Knitting Stitches: A Complete Dictionary of Essential Stitch Patterns by Potter Craft, has arrived, so over the weekend I shall be putting it to good use, coming up with a new tunic pattern.

Once it was all sown up, and the buttons had been attached, I thought that it was missing a little... something. So, sticking with my Sailor theme, I decided to duplicate stitch an anchor onto the front panel of the tunic. I used this chart for the anchor, and this tutorial for learning duplicate stitch (insanely simple once you get the hang of it).

After all this work, I ended up with a piece of knitting I'm pleased with!




This little tunic has nowhere to go at present, so I'm going to pop it into my gift box. If you'd like to check out more finished projects, head on over to Tami's

I know I've not blogged very much this month, things have been crazy at home, but during the month of December I'm going to be taking part in #reverb12. I managed to take part in Kat's last blog-a-long during October, so I'm hoping to be able to blog daily again during next month! So don't forget to come back tomorrow for the kickstart of this month of remembrance!



4 thoughts:

  1. Oh my goodness! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely adorable!! The anchor was a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks super, love your changes to the original

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Lil outfit :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...