Saturday 14 April 2012

This Week in Knitting: Anyone for a Vodka Lemonade?

I love checking out new patterns, what I love even more is being of the first to knit new patterns (mainly so that in the future I can say oh I was knitting that before it was considered 'in'). So I thought I would start a new section dedicated to the latest patterns that I think you'll love. Some were released in the past couple of days and others were released in the past couple of weeks. I thought this could also serve as a notebook, where I write little 'notes' about the pattern. Maybe what yarn(s) I'm going to use and where I can get them from for the cheapest (UK & US, for all the american readers!).

©Caro Sheridan
So, lets kick this off with my favourite pattern of the week, Vodka Lemonade by Thea Colman. I saw this gorgeous cardi pattern out of the corner of my eye on the Hot Right Now section on Ravelry. The pattern is available for £4.21 ($6.50), which I think is a very reasonably price considering I'd wear it again, and again... and again (and have to knit it again, and again... and again as all my friends will want one) Thea describes her pattern like so:

"Vodka Lemonade is a springy sweater with a vintage vibe. Seed stitch and lace details add texture and a feminine touch, and the classic styling ensures that it will go with jeans and a tank just as easily as a sundress and sandals"

She uses Zen Garden Serenity DK in Lemon Twist for the show knit. I've never seen this yarn before, and so glad I found it as it's gorgeous. It is a 90% Merino, 10% Cashmere mix, and the texture is described as 'Soft, Silky, Shiny, Squishy'. If you bought the yarn and pattern as a kit on the Zen Garden website, it would run you a little over $135 (£85), now I'm sure most of us don't have that kind of cash to splash on a cardigan so here are a couple of cheaper suggestions:

1. Knit Picks Shine Sport DK3.49 /$2.99 a skein) 2. Debbie Bliss Rialto4.20/$6.65)

Next up is a brand new design by Annie Riley. Annie has only been knitting 3 years, but has already designed over 20 beautiful patterns. Her latest design, Antique Cables Cardigan, will be published on the Knit Picks website. It is not yet available for purchase, but as soon as it is I will let you know!

©Annie & Company
"This isn't any old cardigan pattern. There's a story behind it, and it's one I would like to share with you. One day at one my local yarn shops I met an older lady who, when she found out that I designed knitwear, asked if I could help her with a problem. I wasn't sure what she meant so I asked. She proceeded to tell me about a 30-year-old cardigan that was damaged in a house fire -- and was the only one her husband would wear. She asked if I could recreate the design so she could knit a new one for her husband.


I was really unsure, but told her I would give it a go. I knew it would be a lot of work, and it was. But with the knitting back-up of my sister and good friend, it's done. After lots of stitches, tinking, math, crying, laughing, and watching myself-set deadlines fly past, it's done. And it turned outto be a great cardigan for men or women!"

Well Annie, the tears were certainly worth it, the pattern is gorgeous, and I can't wait to get knitting this! For the show knit, Annie uses Knit Picks Comfy Fingering weight ($2.99), which does look like the perfect yarn to use. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it available in the UK so here are a couple of other options:

1. Knit Picks Stroll Glimmer Sock Yarn5.75 / $5.79) 2. Rowan Pure Wool 4 Ply4.75 /$8.50)

Last but not least is the stunning shawl pattern, Estrella by Jolanda Schneider. This gorgeous pattern was designed on a Easter Sunday and was made to resemble 'a lovely spring day'. You can purchase Estrella for £3.39 ($5.37)

Now, I'm not sure how many of us could attack such lace splendor but I think the results of those who knew a thing or two about it would be beautiful.

Jolanda suggests knitting with Admiral 4 ply by Schoppel-Wolle. Unfortunately I could only find this yarn in a Denmark website, so here are a couple of yarnie alternatives I have come up for you:

1. Delicious Fingering by Candy Skein ($28 / £17.66) 2. Heritage Solids & Quatro Colours by Cascade Yarns ($12) 3. Bamboo Merino Sock by DreamPassion17.49/$27)

That's it for this week, tune in next Saturday for more news in the world of knitting! Have a fab weekend everybody!

5 thoughts:

  1. I like the lemonade sweater. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and I love Vodka Lemonade. I'm always looking for a good cardi pattern for summer and this might be it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post and really enjoyed being introduced to new patterns. I'm tempted to cast on the Vodka Lemonade but will have to wait until I finish my own challenge of my stash down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the look of Vodka Lemonade, it might be just what I'm looking for. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Charly,

    thank you very much for show my pattern Estrella. That's very nice from you:-))

    Regards from Switzerland
    Jolanda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...