Wednesday 17 October 2012

Origami Falls Cowl

Yesterday I spoke about the Horseshoe Cowl I was casting on in favour of the Slouchy Bubbles Beanie. Well, its finished! So I shall share it with you on Friday. As per usual, I can't knit just one of a certain type of object (i.e beanie, cowl) I have to knit a whole load of them in a short period of time. Last night I cast on another cowl, which you could brand as cheating, as this pattern is apart of my Year of Projects list I was going to blog about on Thursday.

The pattern is Origami Falls Cowl by Teleri. I thought this pattern was absolutely gorgeous, and couldn't get my head round why it only had a project count of 35. I decided to use Finullgarn by Rauma in what I call, "Essex Tan" (bright orange for those outside of the UK). Finullgarn is a 100% wool, fingering weight yarn from Norway. My very lovely friend Myriah sent it to me when we were paired together in a swap, this time last year. I've been umming & arring over what to knit with this yarn for months (12 of them in fact!), so I'm pleased I finally found the perfect pattern.

I cast on using a set of 4 DPNs rather than the circulars, or 5 set the pattern calls for, meaning I have a total of 40sts on each needle. The cowl has no purl at either the top or bottom to stop it from curling (which got pretty annoying when I was trying to photograph it), so I am going to have to sew the hem to the first row of knit stitches on either end of the cowl to get it to sit straight.

I have always struggled following charts, I either read the pattern the wrong way (your meant to read right to left on RS, left to right on WS) or get confused with the different symbols. So for the past few lace projects I've 'translated' my charts into written patterns, as I find it much easier to follow.

I've been finding this pattern knits up very slowly, I casted on yesterday afternoon, and despite there being a stitch of only 120, I've done a measly 31 rows (3,720 sts to be exact). I hope to get my fingers flying and get to at least halfway through the second repeat by this evening. The fact I'm knitting so slow could be due to the fact I'm working on thin needles and thin yarn, but I'm not really sure.

Now that the pattern is beginning to form, I find I don't love it as much as the pattern picture. I got talking to Megan, from A String of Purls, via instagram. She told me that she cast on this same pattern a few months ago and like me, found the pattern didn't have enough depth to it as the picture makes out. But, that is just our opinions. What do you think?


When I took a closer shot, the camera, rather annoyingly,
dulled the yarn colour. 
I'm off to re-watch last nights episode of The Paradise, a new British Period Drama which I'm a little addicted to.

Click the picture below to be taken to Tami's, where she is showing us pictures of the Vista Fibre Fiesta she attended over the weekend, plus all the goodies she snagged while she was there!


15 thoughts:

  1. I think you probably need to have done a few more repeats for the pattern to look as good as it should, but I can definitely see what you mean compared to the pattern picture.

    Also, I love the yarn colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look a little shallow. Maybe you can add in more rows to either side? I am in love with that orange, so I hope you get something you love from it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do so love that yarn. If you aren't happy with the cowl just frog it, that yarn deserves something you will love! I do think it sometimes takes a bit for the pattern to "pop". Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving the pattern, and adore the colour. I do see what you mean about the difference in pattern. Hope it works out for you.
    Thanks for visiting my blog today.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the loveliness of your yarn's color is overriding the lack of depth in the pattern. Keep knitting -- it's really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. maybe the color of the original pattern was shiny, where as yours (and it's fabulous, btw!) looks more matte?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The color is awesome, even if the pattern isnt working up how you like. I hope that even if you don't finish with this specific pattern that you'll find something to use that awesome colored yarn for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, it sounds like there's a lot you don't like about the way this is knitting up. Maybe you should reconsider your pattern choice? Lovely yarn should make a lovely cowl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry it didn't turn out like you had hoped after you spent so much time on it. Hopefully a different pattern will be better suited.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the way your cowl is looking so far! But I can see how you'd be disappointed if it's not turned out as you had expected it to look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it looks beautiful. Love the color! Give it another pattern repeat, I think you will change your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The yarn is beautiful! I am usually a little frustrated with waiting to sew back a part that needs to be hemmed to finish the pattern. This is the part that is not looking "right" to me. Wonder if you would feel any different if you gave it a little pin back just to see...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the pattern looks great so far, but it'll need a few repeats before you get the full impression of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...