Thursday 22 March 2012

Thursday Book Challenge: Week 7




I do apologies, this post is very late again this week. I'm in a M.E& Fibro flare at the moment, so I'm not blogging, reading or knitting as much as I would like. Saying that, though, I finished another pattern for M.E Awareness Week in May. It is a fingerless mitten pattern, and they are called 'Pixie Mitts', so I'll leave you to imagine what they look like ;)

Anyway, onto TBC! This week I am reading The Returners by Gemma Malley. Gemma Malley is the author who introduced me to the dystopian genre. She did this through her series of The Declaration books. Since I loved those 3 books so much, I decided to try The Returners. 

Here is the summary from Shelfari.com for The Returners:

"London teenager Will Hodge is miserable. His mother is dead, his father’s political leanings have grown radical, and his friends barely talk to him. To top it off, he’s having nightmares about things like concentration camps. Then Will notices he's being followed by a group of people who claim to know him from another time in history. It turns out they are Returners, reincarnated people who carry with them the memory of atrocities they have witnessed in the past. Will realizes that he, too, is a Returner. But something about his memories is different, and with dawning horror, Will suspects that he wasn’t just a witness to the events, he was instrumental in making them happen. Set in the near future, with the world on the verge of a new wave of ethnic cleansing, Will must choose to confront the cruelty he's known in his past lives, or be doomed to repeat it . . . again."

My younger sister Katy loved the book. Unfortunately though, I can't stand it. For me, there is just too much talk and not enough action. You have to read just over 100 pages (which is about half of the book) to get to the real 'meat' of the story, that of The Returners. I'm just over half way through so I don't want to just stop and start another book as I'm so far through this one already. 

When I do finish this, I'm going to start The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. My friend Jazz recommended it to me (she also wrote a review of it on her blog), but then I forgot about it until my best friend Abby came across it on Shelfari. 

So, that's all from me this week. Now it's your turn! 

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...