Sunday 30 December 2012

Delicate

Well good morning, my lovelies! :) I have a new project to share with you, and it includes lace, melon pink, and perhaps even some sock yarn...

Earlier in the year I bought myself a skein Stylecraft Life 4 ply in Melon, from Deramores. I bought it in the hope to knit myself some socks, but not just any kind of socks, I was planning on making lace socks.

The chosen pattern was Herringbone Lace Socks by Ann Budd, from her (rather awesome) book, "Get Started Knitting Socks". This was my first time knitting a sock with a pattern (I've only ever knitted plain stockinette socks before now), so I was a little apprehensive on whether I'd be able to do it, but it turns out it is dead simple!!

The pattern calls for Sport yarn, and 3.75mm needles, so I changed this around a bit. The yarn I had chosen was Fingering weight, and so I decided to use 3mm needles. This, of course, made things smaller than they were meant to be, so rather than following the instructions for the Adult Small (which I am) I followed the Adult Medium instructions, and everything seemed to fit rather perfectly. I followed the instructions for Adult Medium until I reached the foot, then I just carried on knitting until I had 2 inches less than the length of my foot, then I began decreasing for the toe. This gave me the perfect foot length! (I've never had socks fit so perfectly before!)

My youngest sister, who I now help care for, has done rather well the past week, hardly any seizures and not too much fainting, which meant that I could just sit & knit while I kept an eye on her. So, within a day and half I had a sock, and by the next evening I had a whole pair!

I've kept the writing in this post rather short so that I could bombard you with pictures, so are you ready? Here goes!!

Yarn looks more orange than it really is, think 'melon pink'.



I'm really chuffed with them! I was expecting the top to curl, but it only slightly did, I was also preparing for the fact that they wouldn't stay up (since there is no rib in the cuff), but thanks to the yarns elasticity, the socks stay up.

Want to know what is even better? Ann Budd, author of this pattern, the book it is from, plus countless other publications, commented on them! And look, look what she said...

Click on the picture for it to be enlarged...

I grinned like the Cheshire Cat when I saw that! :D 

So, that is one more Year of Projects project ticked off, hooray! I do have another that is finished, but I don't want to show you until it is blocked, so you can see it in its full glory. Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend, I'm off to design a pair of socks...

13 thoughts:

  1. Ann is right! Your socks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the socks! It is awesome that Ann Budd commented on them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Absolutely Gorgeous! Her socks are next on my queue to knit! Love that she commented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome socks, your very clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! They look gorgeous in that fabulous colour yarn. I love that comment from Ann Bud on your Ravelry project. I'd be excited about that too.
    I often wonder if Nancy Bush has ever noticed how many of her patterns I've knit. Maybe she thinks I'm a creepy knitting stalker?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those socks look great! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grin away you cat woman you! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the color, it shows off your lace perfectly.

    http://4ccccs.blogspot.com/2012/12/box-of-crayons-heading-to-rochester-not.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Who knew...lace socks. They are gorgeous! And Ann Budd actually commented! Holy cannoli! How special is that? I think I have that book....it is the only book I ordered for socks as she was recommended by Susan Anderson who's blog actually was part of how I got started knitting. Great job! Lots of pats on your back!!!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The melon is perfect for the pattern..and I'm glad that your sister had a better week..Wishing you and your family a safe and happy new year..

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a gorgeous pair of socks! I can only imagine how difficult it was trying to get a good photograph of that yarn color--some shades are just impossible, aren't they? Happy New Year wishes sent to you, along with Merry Knitting thoughts!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  11. how exciting! That's such a beautiful colour and pattern, and I'd be made up with the comment too. I've just put an Anne Budd book on my Christmas voucher spend-list, so it's great to see one of her patterns knitted up. Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you have a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow a finished pair, that's what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...