Sunday 25 November 2012

Oh, look! Something Sparkly...

I'm sorry I've been away, life happened. I am back now though, and I have a new project to share with you!

I've had The Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief in my Ravelry queue ever since I saw Tami's project way back in June '11. I've been dying to knit it, but could never find the perfect yarn for the project. On Friday, the perfect yarn finally came along.

Branching Out Scarf
Click picture to enlarge
It came in the form of King Cole - Galaxy, in the Venus colourway. I originally used it to knit the Branching Out scarf by Susan Lawrence. For several different reasons (which I won't go into), I ended up frogging it. So, I was left with two gorgeous skeins of sparkly yarn that I had idea what to do with. It wasn't until I spoke to Sarah (from Crafts from the Cwtch) about the next Shawl KAL that I got the idea to knit the long awaited Age of Brass & Steam Kerchief.

I enjoyed learning the Garter Tab technique, it looked scary at first but I used this brilliant photo tutorial and it all made sense! I also learnt how to make one left, and make one right. So, despite it being an incredibly simple pattern, I still managed to learn three new techniques.




I'm about 70% through now, but it's looking smaller than it should be so I'm going to add another three or four sections to make it larger. I'm really happy with how its looking, and it will be mine once I'm finished - hooray! I'm starting to get the hang of making things for myself (I now have a total of 5 knits, just for me!), and I'm starting to plan projects for me, for a change, so that is progress! :)

I have noticed since knitting this shawlette, that I'm getting a little sparkles obsessed...



Yarn, knitting (I also have to sparkly beanies I didn't show you), hair clips, make-up, nail polish, bangles. Sparkles everywhere!!
Click the picture to find more YOP posts for this week! :)

5 thoughts:

  1. It's a sparkly time of year :)

    I think your yarn is much better suited to the shawl than the scarf, so good choice. Also, do you know how much your shawl will grow with blocking? Adding that many sections sounds a little worrying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not one for sparkles but even I can recognize excellent sparkle usage. Can't wait to see the finished shawl. It looks like it's going to be lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never to use to be a "sparkly" kind of gal but when you get old, like me, you need something to make you look "alive" so sparkles it is! LOL!
    I love that shawl and I've not made one but I want to now! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sparkle-tastic!!!!! I love the look of that yarn and have been eyeing up all the gorgeous projects made with it. There is a totally stunning massive showl which I liked to on CftC facebook page the other day - really wish I could remember what it was called now!

    I've always loved sparkles, I'm sure it's only a matter of time....

    Have a great week
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love some sparkles..I even have some sparkly yarn..but I have never used it..thought the sparklies would just fall off..thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...