Wednesday 24 August 2011

Zig to the Zag

I have been knitting nothing but blanket squares this week. The baby is due in a couple of weeks time and it is still not ready, so I'm knitting like crazy. I've only knitted 12 squares so far, not sure why they're taking me so long. But I've joined them all together and now is starting to look a little like a blanket, which gives me hope.


I'm planning on making it 6x6, so there will be 36 squares in total. I'm a third of a way through at the moment, and if I have done my math correctly, I should be finished knitting squares by next Thursday. Once I'm finished knitting the actual squares, I need to do a border. I think I'm just going to do a plain Garter Stitch edging, but I'm open to suggestions! After the border is done, I'm buying some lovely fabric to back it. 

I'm not happy with how it looks, but to be fair it is my first blanket. I do have an idea for my next blanket, when I know what I'm going to do I'll let you in on the secret. 

I still haven't come up with a cool name for the blanket, so leave a comment with your suggestions!!

For more Wip Wednesday fun, head on over to Tami's place!

12 thoughts:

  1. I've never knitted a blanket, and I probably never will since crochet works up so quickly for me. I'm always impressed when I see a knitted blanket! I'm sure yours will turn out lovely even though you think you don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candyfloss.

    Sew the back on and then do a crochet border, really much faster. Also if all the squares are the same, why not cast on for one long rectangle and knit it in strips instead of squares?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so cute, like a candy waffle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks pretty - I love the color and the waffle effect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it too. I think it's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OooOo what a pretty blanket!!! I love the wavey-ness and the colour. I know you'll get it done, it will be so worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with @RugbyMaid, rectangles might take a little longer than squares but it'll cut out some sewing for you! Put on some of your more slightly agressive I-can-do-this music and get to it - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knit a baby blanket once. It was 4 skeins of seed stitch. With a lace edge. Did I mention it was my third ever project?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've knitted 2 blankets and I won't be doing it again. The last one took forever! It does look pretty. Do you crochet at all? A nice crocheted border would be easy and look really nice. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's the classic problem with blankets. They take way longer to make then you would expect. I agree with RubyMad, crochet border is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are going to back it with fabric, why not think about getting a co ordinating fabric and make a bias cut edging for it. That should be super speedy if time is short. c x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't do a lot of blankets, and never a knitted one, so kudos for you! You may like it more once it is together, edged and blocked. I like the ridge pattern...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...