Saturday 3 November 2012

Black Horse & the Cherry Tree

I've had the Swirl Hat by Mandie Harrington in my queue for well over a year now, so when I was compiling my Year of Projects list for this year, I decided that it was finally time to knit the Swirl Hat and added it to the list.

I'd ordered the yarn for Mother's humongous blanket/throw thing that will eat me alive, on Wednesday evening, so as usual I was expecting it to be sent the next day and I'd receive it sometime on Friday (because the only option is First Class on Deramores, so you expect First Class delivery)... but it never turned up. The needles that I'd ordered from eBay, had arrived, just no yarn. So last night I was without a project, and you know I can never sit still without my knitting, as a result I decided to cast on a small project, and that small project was the Swirl Hat.

I'd already made my eldest niece, Tilly, a fair isle hat for this winter, which left her little sister, Daisy, without one. I didn't like the idea of knitting this in one colour, as I thought it would fall quite flat and feel one dimensional. So for this particular knit, I knew I wanted to be rather daring with my colour choices, which meant that pastels were completely out of the question. A quick hunt through my stash produced a ball of black DK. Now, I rarely ever see black used in baby knits, which made it quite a risk, but one I was willing to take. I decided to team it up with Raspberry Special DK (which seems like a never-ending skein of yarn!).

I knitted the 2x2 rib brim in black, and the body of the hat in Raspberry. The body of the hat only consists of  a one row repeat, making it a quick knit! When I was finished it felt as if it needed a little extra something, so I had a look through previous projects of the Swirl Hat and came across ashleybobbi who added a bow to her's. I stole the idea and whipped up a bow in black, to match the rim of the hat.

Without further ado, here is Daisy's Swirl Hat!




The colours for this hat remind me of the song, Black Horse & the Cherry Tree by KT Tunstall, so that is why both the project and post have a rather strange title!

I have put the directions for the bow on my Ravelry project page, if you are interested :)

That's another YOP project ticked off the list, wahoo! Come back tomorrow for not one, but two more finished YOP knits :D 

If you want to find out more about Year of Projects, head on over to the Ravelry group, Come Blog-a-Long, where I am a moderator :) There you can also find more finished projects, but if you're not on Ravelry type YOP1213 into Google to find YOP blog posts :D

1 thoughts:

  1. I'm amazed you haven't had the yarn already, my Deramores orders turn up so fast it's like they've predicted my order and posted it before I've actually hit the order button!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...