Tuesday 31 May 2011

Tunes on Tuesday: Crazy Little Thing Called Love


In my attempt to start blogging daily, I am starting a brand new meme, or theme, on my blog. Every Tuesday I am going to click shuffle on my iPod (he's called Bertie - not that I'm completely insane for naming my iPod) and whatever song pops up, I must write about what that song title or lyrics makes me think of in regards to knitting. 

So this week, Bertie has chosen 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' by Michael BublĂ©. For me, this song instantly makes me think of my love for knitting.

At first, like all great relationships, I hated it. I thought it was silly, and would giggle if anyone under the age of 40 mentioned that they knitted. Then, when I developed M.E, I started looking into things that would help me pass the time. One evening, I was watching a documentary on pain. Throughout the programme I noticed that a few of those suffering with chronic pain were knitting. This was not commented on during the programme, so I decided to take it upon myself to try knitting as pain therapy.

Fortunately, my Mum had needles and yarn at the ready and she attempted to teach me to knit. I say attempted as I have no natural talent for crafts, or creative things for that matter, at all. I couldn't even put the needle through the yarn to make a stitch, I was that awful. I stuck with it though, repeating the famous Teletubbie line of 'Again, Again!'

I finally managed to get the hang of it, and a few hours later I found myself with my first square.  Those few hours I spent teaching myself to knit, was the most fun I'd had in a while, frustrating and stressful at times, but still fun.

That was the day I fell in love with knitting, and my love has never wavered since.


6 thoughts:

  1. Tunes on Tuesday seems like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of using songs as inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first square and mine look very similar, (expect mine was red.) I think this is a great idea. I'm sort 0f scared by what my i-pod might spit out at me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'm brave enough to let my ipod pick the tune *laughing* I loved this blog - great idea and I look forward to more.

    I do have to ask though: did knitting help in pain management? If it does, I would have to say it is not that the pain goes away, you are just redirecting your thoughts and focus into the craft rather than sitting with nothing else to think about other than pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use knitting as therapy as well. I lose ROM very easily in my one elbow and if I don't knit a couple of rows everyday I can really tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever my iPod is on Shuffle, it decides to spit out whatever song has the rudest title/lyrics it can find, just to embarrass me. And I don't think you've weird calling it Bertie, simce my computer is called Leroy, and my boyfriends is Phillipe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...