Tuesday 20 September 2011

The Bad Beginning

You know how I am with starting new projects, I just can't help myself. So when I found out about One a Day, I knew I had to join in on the fun.

Simply put One a Day (which was started by GingerbreadGirl) is "A CAL/KAL for anyone who wants to tackle a bigger project by doing one element a day!" 

I had a two parcels of yarn arrive last Wednesday (more about that on Saturday!), and inside one of those squishy parcels was two LARGE skeins of Aran. I'd seen these 400g beauties in my Local Yarn Shop many of times, but never had the courage to take a couple of skeins up to the cash register. Fortunately though, my Nan is completely like me when it comes to knitting and she popped two skeins (don't think you can really call them skeins, they're about the size of small child) of Robin Aran with Wool in the Cappuccino colourway in my box of woolly goodies. 

The moment I got back home I cuddled up on the sofa, switched on the TV and watched 'The Day After Tomorrow' (is it just me, or does the film make you feel freezing?!) as I cast on for my new project.

As my Mum is a big garter stitch fan, and we have a very cold few months ahead of us, I decided to knit a Garter Stitch blanket. I'm not knitting from a pattern, simply wingin' it. Using 5mm 80cm circular needles I cast on 160 stitches. I'm not sure how large it'll actually turn out, but when the stitches suddenly flew off the needles it was just a bit bigger than the width of my single bed. So it'll be very interesting to see how large it'll actually turn out.

Now whenever I sit and watch TV Mother's Favourite comes with me. It's great to be able to watch something without the worry of looking down to check for mistakes. As of now, I have knitted 70 rows. Which isn't bad!!



That just about wraps it up for this week, next week I'll be introducing a new project (proving the needles for it have arrived...) and giving you an update on Mother's Favourite. For now, head on over to GingerbreadGirl's for more One a Day posts, or visit the group on Ravelry!

13 thoughts:

  1. I have this yarn !! Its catually forming little parts of my One a Dsat too !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those huge balls of yarn too. I've been resisting the temptation to buy more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That yarn seems to be made for garter stitch :o) c x

    ReplyDelete
  4. that yarn looks awesome!! and everyone needs a big ol' cozy handknit blanket, that's for sure

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely and warm :) love the colour too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic idea. I love a bit of garter stitch or stocking stitch even for those days when you don't feel like concentrating too hard. And the best part is it always looks so lovely too! Bonus! I am wondering just how big those balls of yarn are? I got some 200g balls the other day and was pretty excited over those. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow those balls of wool must be close to the size of a child, I don't think I've ever seen them before. The blanket looks lovely, and wow you've done so much. Look forward to seeing it grow like grass!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely autumn project. You are making such progress you put me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really liking your blanket - it's going to be so warm and snuggly! And the colour's just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great Autumn knit! It'll keep your knees warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these sophisticated colours people are using. Yours is going to be so restful, just the thing for movie watching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh you're doing really well, I bet being one single sheet of knit will make it really nice and soft and floppy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...