Monday 2 January 2012

My First Knitting Pupil!

I had a couple of friends over yesterday, which was really nice. While Emily and Katy hid in the kitchen and painted their nails, Amy and I decided to get crafty. She noticed my Scrunchable Scarf I'm knitting in the corner of the room, and said "Wow, you're really good at knitting. I can only do the one thing - knit." I got a sudden urge of excitement. "Aw thank you, well... I can teach you if you like..." "Oh, yes please!"

I did a quick fist pump, ran up the stairs (which I shouldn't do. And Mum if you're reading this, I'm sorry.) and did a knee slide across the floor to my yarn box (or, the rectangularcubething for any of you who were reading on Friday). In all the excitement of having my own victim pupil, I pulled out some white cotton (which says it is Aran weight but it is really DK) and a pair of 7mm plastic needles. Which really didn't work, as the needles were  far too big for the yarn. Meaning it looked holey (is that even a word?!), when it should have been nice and neat. 

I decided to teach her Purl, which when teamed with Knit meant that she could do stocking stitch! She just absorbed everything I said and showed her, which was great! She learnt to purl incredibly quickly and was soon asking to learn something else.

We then plodded downstairs, popped Gnomeo and Juliet on in the DVD Player (which was a gift from my Nan when she was clearing out. So much easier to use than an old PS2, thank you Nan!) and I taught her to cast on. 
As with Purl, she learnt how to cast on very quickly. She saw me knitting my scarf and said, "Hey, can I learn to do that stitch you're using for the scarf?" "Of course, I should have thought of it earlier. It is very easy. Simply knit 2, purl 1. Then repeat."

I showed her a row of the k2, p1 and then she had a go herself. For this she used a pair of 4mm bamboo needles (which she found a lot easier to use, stitches don't slip around so easily) and some cheap acrylic. Stylecraft DK in Yellow, to be exact.

She got a little stuck every now and again, but in the whole she did really well. During the rest of the day, wherever she went, so did her knitting. So we may see another knitter coming into the world! :e

I gave her the 4mm needles and DK yarn for her to practice with, as all she had at home was some split-prone cotton, which isn't very good to learn with. In the end, our knitty day looked a little something like this! Minus the chocolate wrappers and nail polish.

Click to enlarge.
It was a lovely day and I hope we can do it again soon. I can't leave without showing you Katy's nails. She borrowed Emily's cracked nail polish (unsure of the brand, sorry) and I just think the end result is fab!


3 thoughts:

  1. I wish I had the patience to teach someone to knit! She sounds like a great pupil, but I'm sure she had a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your commitment to sharing the insanity!!!! LOLOLOL!!!

    Happy New Year to you and here's to more knitting victims ... errr ... I mean pupils. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so rewarding to teach someone to knit. Glad you enjoyed it and it sounds like she did too.
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...