Sunday 28 October 2012

An Unblocked Cowl and a Finished Fair Isle Hat!

I was out all day last Sunday, so didn't get chance to blog about my finished Origami Cowl! I had about an inch of yarn left after I'd casted off, so don't have enough to sew the hem back like I was hoping to. I tried popping it on as soon as I'd finished, but couldn't get it on! So, yes, definitely needs blocking. I haven't had chance to do so yet, so here it is unblocked:


I'm not a big fan of it I have to say, but Rizzle loves it so perhaps it'll be going her way! You were all in love with the yarn I used, and made a point of telling me that I should knit something I love with it. But, what I neglected to tell you was that I have 2 skeins! So I can make myself something I absolutely love. I'm not sure what they'll be yet, perhaps another cowl, or mittens... the possibilities are endlesss! 

Hopefully next week I'll be able to model the blocked version for you, but we'll just have to see what this coming week has in store for me!

After I casted off the cowl, I was in need of a quick evening knit, so scrolled through my YOP list and found the pattern Scrappy Gems Fair Isle Hat by Tina Edgar. I decided to make it for my niece Tilly, who has just started school. The yarn I chose was Stylecraft Special Double Knit in Plum, Pale Rose & Pomegranate. If you've been reading my blog posts over the past week you'll remember me using them for Abby's Blanket & Molly's Scarf & Mittens set

I read through project notes for this pattern, and I noticed a trend of people mentioning that the hat turned out a smaller size than they cast on for. So I chose to play it safe and cast on for an adult hat, hoping it would turn out child-size, otherwise Rizzle gets her mitts on another hat!

Normally I'm not a fan of doing colourwork but I love doing Fair Isle. I find it quite therapeutic. About four hours later I casted off, it turned out Tilly size - woo! 





I reaaaaaally enjoyed knitting this hat, and the pattern is perfect for a quick knit to add to the present bundles I give to those expecting bubbas! One day in the future I'd like to edit the pattern so that it comes out as a slouchy beanie as I think Rizzle would love very cute in a blue ombre one!

So there we go, not one, but two projects to tick off on my YOP List! I can't decide what to knit next, either  the Very Braidy Cowl or, the Scallop Lace Hat. Decisions decisions!

To find more Year of Projects: Year 2! posts, search Google for 'YOP1213' or, head on over to the Ravelry Group and check out the 'October 28th - November 3rd' thread.

7 thoughts:

  1. Close shave on the inch of yarn left. I really like the cowl but I love the hat. I have not tried any 'colour work' yet. I have trouble concentrating as I appear to be in demand...'Mom...Mooooommmmm! MMOOOoommm!' No rest for the wicked. It is a very pretty hat though with great choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hat, the colours ou picked go perfectly together, and it's great for a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat is wonderful! I haven't tried Fair Isle for more than a little swatch. I love the cowl and I'm glad you have some yarn left to make something for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute hat! You don't like the cowl? It really nice looking. I'm sure the recipient will be very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since cowls are my favorite project to work..make another one.. I think the 1st is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow... a fair isle hat in 4 hours - you are a knitting Goddess! Lovely cowl too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...