Wednesday 13 July 2011

WIP Wednesday: Bright and Bold

Waaaaaay back in April, which in actual fact doesn't seem that far away, I started a Cable Bag from the book Knitty Gritty: Knitting For The Absolute Beginner. With a mixture of wrong yarn weight and colour, I ended up frogging it. Then a couple of weeks ago, I was told about the on-line yarn superstore Deramores, or as I call it, heaven, and found myself Patons Morocco Aran. A beautiful multi-textured, self-striping yarn. Perfect I thought, so I went ahead and ordered myself 3 skeins in the Jade/Smaragd mix, with the intent of using it for my second attempt at the Cable Bag.

As I sat down to watch the lovely Rafael Nadal take on another victim opponent, I got out my needles and knitted the afternoon away.

The first thing that struck me while knitting it, was that the yarn wasn't thick enough to be Aran. Sure the dark blue aspect of the yarn was Aran, but the rest of the yarn, to me anyway, felt even thinner than DK. I carried on regardless and as I did I realised that yarn weight wasn't my only problem.


The colours pooled just the way I'd like, but despite this it just doesn't look right. At first I thought it might have been because of my knitting skills, so I frogged it and started again. It looked exactly the same. So sadly I had to frog it, and come to the realisation that I'm never to have this rather lovely cable bag.

When all hope was lost, the American's arrived. I scored myself some Sugar n' Cream yarn in several colour-ways (all about that here) and the Modern stripe skeins were perfect for this bag. Aran? Check! Beautiful colours? Check! Dream to work with? Check!

So this afternoon I set to work, two hours later here is the results:


I am very happy. It was definitely worth the wait!

So I bet you're on the edge of your seat wondering what I used the Morocco yarn for?!
Well, it took a while but very, very early on Sunday morning, about 2am, I decided to make the Lacy Shawl from the book Knitty Gritty: Knitting For The Absolute Beginner. I thought it would be perfect as the yarn is silky soft, and has the same thickness as Double Knit yarn. And in actual fact, it has turned out quite well!

I'm planning on using the Shawl and Bag next weekend, so I only have a week to finish them both! Fortunately they are both really quick knits, I've only been knitting the Shawl for about 4 hours and I'm already on the 17th pattern repeat!
So that is my WIPs for this week, head on over to Tami's blog for more Work-In-Progress posts!

13 thoughts:

  1. The yarn really didn't want to be that bag huh?! Looks fab now though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fab in the new yarn, I've never used either yarns before but the second one looks lovely :)

    I love Deramores. They're only missing a few brands (knit picks mainly) to be a one stop shop for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Deramores fan here too! Both your WIPs are looking fab- I'll bet you can't wait to finish them now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the yarn that you are using for the shawl and the colors for your bag will go very well. Can't wait to see your finished projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both your wips look great! Glad you were able to finally make the bag and use the other yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree the bag is much better in the cotton! And the shawl in the other. Can't wait to see the ta-dah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bag looks great in sugar and creme. Thanks for the link to the shop - I am off to have a look around xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess this a case of the third time's a charm! I'm glad it worked out. Looks like you found a good use for the other yarn too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That shawl is gorgeous-that yarn!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am using the same yarn for my windmill bag and I love it. great work on the shawl, such a perfect summer knit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY for Sugar N Cream coming through. I love that yarn for bags, so great choice! The shawl looks great. You made a ton of progress on both, I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Sometimes yarn knows just what it wants to be and you have to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...