Monday 3 December 2012

When I Grow Up, I'm Going to Be a Yarn Dyer

There are many things I wish for in my personal life, but when it comes to knitting there is one thing I wish for. Learning to dye yarn.

I was introduced to hand dyed yarn last year by Tami, when she was in the process of opening her (awesome) shop, Candy Skein. Not having to be at the mercy of (ordinary) yarn shops was a revelation to me. I could actually decided what colour(s) I wanted, and whether they would stripe, variegate, ombré, or be in a single block of colour. Plus I could decided the yarn weight and how many skeins I would dye.

A few months later, my Mum found me a yarn dyeing course at a yarn shop close by. The owner was very kind and suggested I do my course in a series of installments over a few days, rather than an all day course (this is due to all my health problems).

Almost a year later, I'm sad to say, I'm still waiting to attend the course. My health has improved recently so much so that I could probably do the course in one day! But with my living situation how it is at the moment it would be impossible for me to go.

My Mistofellees - Merino/Nylon Sock-Superwash in
"Summer Berries", from Black Cat Fibres, which I
reviewed earlier in the year.
This setback hasn't stopped me planning what I'm going to dye, though. My dream is to have my own hand-dyed yarn shop, so I've been sat working on 'yarn series' that I'm quite pleased with. If I ever do have my own yarn shop, it wouldn't be as awesome as Tami's. I wouldn't be able to do a sock club, or custom orders. The reason being that my health can decline very quickly, so I might not be able to fulfill orders. Also, there are some things going on in my life that are not very nice, and could get worse at any time, if that did happen I wouldn't be able to fulfill custom orders or dye the next months sock club.

It'd be a simple, small shop.There wouldn't be one single theme, like Tami's "Candy Skein", mine would be more like Danielle's "A Stash Addict", or Ruth's "Black Cat Fibres", where I cover a whole range of "themes". I have no clue what I'd call my shop. I couldn't call it "An Accidental Knitter", as there is a yarn shop called "The Accidental Knitter". But, this dream is a long way off, so I don't need to worry about shop names quite yet :)

What is your big wish for 2013? :)


in reply to the Day 3 prompt, "What do you really wish for?" If you want to find out more about #reverb12, click this lovely linkie.

3 thoughts:

  1. Dyeing yarn is a lot of fun! I learned just the basics from YouTube tutorials- Dyeing with natural materials, kool aid, food coloring, etc, and it was a blast. I could never open a shop with my own dyed yarn, though, because it was also a lot of work and as excited as I was about it I prefer the actual knitting during my free time.
    I hope to see you fulfilling this dream soon, though, because I love working with others' creations! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreams are what keep us going, I'm sure that once you are sorted out a bit you will make your dream a reality! There is no reason why you can not. As I tell my daughter you can do anything that you want, you have the power to make it reality, just believe in yourself as much as others believe in you :-)

    Glad you are feeling better at present, positive thoughts x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to come to your shop. I'd like to have a boutique nursery when I grow up. One that serves coffe and has exquisite giftware

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...