Thursday 26 May 2011

C is for... Cables

I want to apologise for this post not being up on Monday. My life has been crazily busy the last couple of days. Been setting up websites, having sleepovers, being poorly and of course, knitting.

This week, is all about Cables. Soft, squishy, gorgeous cables. Big ones, small ones, I'll take them however they come. It had always been my goal to learn how to cable, and in May of this year I finally taught myself.

Learning to cable has opened so many knitted doors to me, its unbelievable. Cable hats, cable mittens, cable mug hugs, cable jumpers, the list could go on and on.

In this post, I thought I would share with you the patterns I really love, and that maybe one day, I'll be able to have a go at.

The first pattern I absolutely adore is Fetching by Cheryl Niamath. Fetching is a beautiful Fingerless Gloves pattern which was published in the Knitty.com Summer 2006 issue.

The second patten on my cable queue is the stunning Sixteen Cable Hat by CircĂ© Belles Boucles. I don't normally like hats, but this one is gorgeous. As the patten calls for Aran weight yarn, it will not only be a stunner to look at but it will also be really warm to wear, making it great for the cold English winters.
I've always been into vest tops, but so far don't own any. My first vest top though, I have decided, is going to be hand-knitted by myself. There are so many gorgeous patterns out there, but to be honest, this has to be one of my all time favourites.

The pattern is Catriona by Debbie Bliss. The cables are simply divine in this pattern, and the red certainly shows them off brilliantly. The pattern is rated hard, but for the end result, it is definitely worth the effort.

I'm attempting my first pair of socks next week, and so I have been spending a lot of time looking at sock patterns. My favourite cable pait that I have found, is the uber funky Circle Socks by Anne Campbell. If and when I learn to knit these socks, I doubt I'll knit anything else.
So that is my, rather short, Learn Your ABC post for this week. Check back next week when 'D is for... Deadlines'. To check out more 'C' posts, click on the links in the Mr. Linky below! 

13 thoughts:

  1. I learned how to cable last fall. It was always on the list of things I hoped to be good enough to learn one day and then I decided I should just figure it out and it was so much easier than I thought it would be.

    Love that vest pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making a cable bag (see my WIPW post for details) - they're so much easier than they seem, aren't they? But so effective. I have those socks queued too, having made my first ones very vanilla I feel like I should try something harder next ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. c is for cables? of course! why didnt i think of that lol ;)
    i LOVE cables too, so pretty and kind of fun.
    hopethings get better for you, kind of calm down and all.
    still loving doing this - thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I love those socks! Cabling is probably my favorite knitting technique. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cables! I was always so scared of them because they looked so impressive and hard, but they're actually really easy. I may have to make those circular socks now

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made those gloves in the first post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cabling - it grows fast because you think,"I'll just get to the top of this next crossover" and before you know it, you're there. Love those socks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I posted on cables too!!! Love them, love them, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cables. They're so much fun, although sometimes time consuming, and turn out looking great. I've fallen in love with the vest now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am yet to try cables but have only been knitting 6 months, hopefully something i will be trying soon, I am liking the idea of cabled wrist warmers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I need those circle socks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. warm Greeting




    Have you been thinking about the power sources and the tiles whom use blocks
    I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out the new stuff you post.

    Thanks and Regards



    ABC Cable

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...