Friday 12 August 2011

FO Friday: Washcloths, Washcloths, and look! More Washcloths!

As you will probably know, last week I started my new washcloth addiction. I don't know why it took me so long to find washcloths, but I'm very happy that I finally did. I haven't felt like doing much knitting during the past two weeks so having these little guys (oh gosh, I'm starting to refer to them as people now, I really need to get a life!) around to pick up and knit is very handy. And enjoyable.

My first ever washcloth, was knitted using the famous pattern Grandmother's Favourite. There isn't much point on me telling you how lovely the pattern is, as I think the 4,973 projects on Ravelry say it all. (And no, I didn't count. I'm not that obsessed. Yet...) I used Craft Cotton in Ecru by V & A Products Ltd, which is an 100% Cotton, Aran weight yarn. The yarn is nice to work with, it doesn't split easily like other cotton yarns I've tried (what am I saying? The only other cotton yarn I've tried is Sugar N Cream!). The only critism I have for this yarn, is not of the yarn itself but the packaging! On the ball band it doesn't tell you how many grams there are and also the yardage/meterage of the yarn. 

Back to the washcloth. 

I really enjoyed knitting it, the pattern is lovely and I'm quite pleased with the end result. (I say 'quite' as I'm pretty, no, definitely sure I messed up the last part of the cloth.)


The moment this was cast off, I cast on my second washcloth. This time round I decided to use the Waffle Knit Dishcloth pattern by Debbie Andriulli. For this cloth I decided to use Lily Sugar'N Cream Stripes: Pinky, as I was knitting this for my niece (who is in a constant need for washcloths apparently - yay!) I thought I better use a colour she loves, which turns out to be pink and thus Sugar'N Cream was chosen.

I really enjoyed knitting this cloth, the yarn pooled great and fortunately (after a confirmation from RugbyMad) you can't see the little mistakes I've made in the cloth. When I was casting off the cloth, I impulsively decided to make a loop so you can hang it up in the shower etc, which I think I've done right, I'll find out soon enough. 

Mum loved it - she reckons it would make a nice blanket square. Katy loved it too, even commissioning me to make her one exactly the same. 

The last thing I have to share with you is a photograph...


Yes that's right, Keith and his friend Minion came to pay me a visit! I say 'pay a visit', they actually snook into the house to watched Tangled on our big telly. As you can tell from Keith's expression he was shocked when he found out that Mother Gothel wasn't really Rapunzel's mother.
For more FO Friday fun, head on over to Tami's, Natural Suburbia and Wisdom Begins in Wonder, have a lovely weekend!! 

18 thoughts:

  1. Grey washcloth's the sugar and cream one is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I have never knitted a washcloth! Perhaps I should start ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The washcloths are great! I really like the pink. I always love using handmade washcloths when I wash dishes. So much better than nasty sponges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful 'gift project' this would make! Could you knit them in jute twine or something rough like that for 'scouring washcloths', or would that just eat up your hands while you work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out amazing! I LOVE the pink one! I made a dishcloth with the granny square pattern and fluffed up the end part as well! HOW? Don't know! But I did. It seems the simple patterns are where I make the mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently went on a wash cloth binge too. They are fun, fast, and addictive. Just be prepared that if you start giving them away, people will want more all of the time. It's a blessing and a curse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's easier to crochet than knit! It's one stick instead of two. So many video tutorials on the web now it's scary. I use the Lionbrand website for as many as I can. Go give it a try. You won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the waffle dishcloth. I'll have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your knitted cloths, I use mine for pot holders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the pattern of the stripped pink one and I think your yarn people are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good news! You'll never run out of dishcloth patterns LOL.

    Grandma's Favourite is also one of my favourites. I also like this eLoomanator’s Diagonal Knit Dishcloth variation:

    http://helloknitty.net/2009/07/25/eloomanator-dishcloths/

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first time that I remember seeing someone knitting in public they were knitting the Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth.

    I was distracted and watched her knit while listening to the speaker. I was amazed that (1) someone appeared to be able to knit and pay attention to a speaker and (2) that knitting in public was acceptable. Of course it was at the weaver's guild meeting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHat?! Mother Gothel ISN'T Rapunzel's mother?! I was going to watch it this weekend!

    Just kidding. Love the pink-white washcloth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boy, isn't it great when you find a new project you can get really obsessed with??? :D The washcloths look great - I especially like the Sugar 'n Cream one. I'm a sucker for pinks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That pink washcloth is so cute - my little lady would love that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! I love washcloths! All of mine are handmade... they're great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You do know, of course, that dishcloths are the gateway project to a very addictive past time? LOL Your cloths look very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...