Tuesday 22 May 2012

And I was like Baby, Baby, Baby Ohhhhh...

Every time I open my stash, skeins and skeins of DK throw themselves at me, just begging to be knitted with. Especially the pastel colours I've had in there for well over a year now. Finally, I have had ideas on what to knit with them.

Lots and lots of baby blankets.

I've discovered a love of knitting up boring pastel colours and creating something cute and practical. Last week I started a blanket for my Mum's friend at work, who is expecting a baby. I've almost finished it, and will tell you more later on in the week but in short, it is purple, yellow and white. And I love knitting it.

A teaser for you.. (it is bigger than that, it is just folded up!)
Since casting on this blanket, I've found I look at my yarns differently. I used to consider "baby pink" a useless colour, but now I see it as a stripe in a pink & white blanket.
As well as baby blankets, I am planning to make a shawl. I've had 3 skeins of Morocco by Patons in my stash for almost a year now, and I just didn't know what to make with it. When I found myself sat in bed cuddling it, it whispered to me "kerchief... I want to be a kerchief..." I bolted up right, logged on ravelry and found The Age of Brass & Steam Kerchief by Orange Flower. I have no idea whether I'm going to gift it or keep it for myself, but at least I know what I'm going to make, that is something, isn't it?

Now I am knitting socks (I casted on my second pair a while ago...) my Mum is eyeing up a pair. I was sat knitting Sara's socks the other day when Mum came up to me and decided "I think my pair will be a dark purple...". So it looks like I am going to be knitting her a pair of socks, too! Fortunately last year my Nan had given me a skein of Suberba ChinĂ©e by Rico Design in a lovely dark purple colourway.

I was using it to knit myself Larch by Tinks & Frogs Rue, but I think I will frog it and use the yarn for Mum's socks. I'm not sure yet on the sock pattern I'll use, probably something by Ann Budd...

I have 2 skeins of Albero by Louisa Harding also hiding in my stash, which is just lush stuff. I attempted to knit the Reversible Lace Beanie Hat from an issue of Simply Knitting earlier this year, but it was a train wreck and ended up getting frogged. I hope to resurrect the project, finish it and gift it to my youngest sister, Katy (who is one of the lucky ones who can wear a hat and look cool).


That is just the tip of the iceberg in regards of my yarn and project ideas, and I'm looking forward to seeing how these projects I've mentioned turn out! :)

For now though, why don't you head on over to the Underground Crafter, the genius behind this meme, for more posts about gift-worthy yarns & their projects. 



4 thoughts:

  1. Wow! You have a lot going on there. I can't wait to see how everything turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of your notes - so much neater than mine! (Or are these photo prop notes lol?)
    Looks like you have a fun range of ideas for your yarns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow knitting blankets!! And enjoying it!! I am in awe!! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Marie

    Yep, they're my actual notes :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...