Thursday 24 May 2012

Thursday Book Challenge: Week 11



I really want to apologise for not doing this meme for a while, there are a lot of things going on at the moment. I'm sick, we're trying to decorate the house, having family problems.. yahda yahda. Anyway, the important thing is that it is back!

I have hardly read since I took part last, I've finished Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. The first book was great, but the second (pandemonium) was such a let down. I just don't understand why Young Adult books require a Love Triangle, the book would have been a lot stronger without it.

The next books I read were the Ask & the Answer and Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness (books 2 & 3 of the Chaos Walking series). I could sum them both up in two words: EPIC WIN!! Especially the third and final book, Monsters of Men. The ending was simply genius, and I really suggest you read it.

The final book I finished was The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I really didn't think I'd like this book, especially after the first couple of chapters, but once I really got into it I suddenly understood what all the hype was about, and was sitting on the edge of my seat for most of it. I found myself taking a sharp intake of breath whenever something went wrong, or someone died (I don't want to name any specifics incase you haven't yet read it), and getting a little sad when a certain young girl passes away.

I've moved straight onto the second book, Catching Fire. If I'm really honest, I think I like this one more than the first. I know people complain that not much happens in the beginning, but I thought that it was a good thing. It gave us time to get to know how the characters (and districts, actually) are coping now they are out of the arena and for the love story to really develop. The victors being sent back into the arena came as a real surprise, but I'm looking forward to meeting Finnick in a few chapters time.

So now it is your turn, what have you been reading this week? (and if you don't have time to write a post this week, feel free to tell us in the comments section!)






2 thoughts:

  1. I finished the Hunger Games mothers day weekend and I really enjoyed it! I'm a librarian and probably the last to have read it! I'm not sure why I waited. I guess because so often the books don't live up to the hype. This time though it's right on the money. I actually finished it about 2 in the morning, and now I'm on the waiting list for Catching Fire. Hopefully I won't have to wait long. Thanks for getting in touch about the link. Look for my post next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so taking some credit for getting you into Chaos Walking! Patrick Ness = Freaking Genius! Glad you're enjoying The Hunger Games, I like Catching Fire best too :) Because, hello, Finnick Odair - wanna sugar cube? Love Finnick :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...