Tuesday 15 May 2012

I'll Knit for You, and You and... No, Not You.

My niece's Jacket with Moss Stitch Bands.
I'm very fortunate in the fact that my family love handmade gifts. I think is due to the fact that we're all so crafty, and artistic. There are about 6 artists in my family, and 8 knitters. So we're all used to getting hand-knitted items, paintings or handmade jewellery. Which means that if I knit someone a gift, I know it'll be appreciated.

95% of the items I knit are gifts (I don't know why, I just seem incapable of knitting for myself!), so this meme will be great for me as I'll be able to plan everything in advance, instead of that awful last minute rush, let's knit til 4am, thing that seems to get me every time.

I'm not really selective when it comes to choosing who to knit for. My only rule is "if they appreciate it, they can have it". If they don't actually like knitting, I don't bother knitting for them, as I don't want to waste time & money on something they're never going to use, or even like. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how many people want knits), the majority of people I know appreciate the time and effort I've taken to make things.

Sara's 8 Stitches per Inch Socks
This year I'm trying to get my family lovely and warm by the winter, which means lots of socks, scarves & mittens (and a couple of Afghans thrown in for good measure). I'll probably knit the odd beret during the summer so I don't go completely out of my mind.

The main people I'll be knitting for this year, are (in particular order):


  • Mum
  • Sara (sister)
  • Tazz (sister)
  • Katy (sister)
  • Abby (cousin/best friend)
  • Tilly (niece)
  • Daisy (niece)
I'll also be knitting for friends and a couple of other family members, but the 7 people mentioned above are the people I'll be mainly focusing on. Some gifts have deadlines, such as Tamin's congrulations package, but other than that, and a couple of anniversaries, I'll mostly be knitting things just because I want to gift bomb them. 

So that is my twist on today's Holiday Stash Down 2012 prompt, which was created by the Underground Crafter. Head over to today's post to check out other posts along the same lines.


4 thoughts:

  1. wow that sounds like a busy family, it's must be nice to have your knitting so appreciated though. those socks are really pretty and the cardigan for your niece is lovely. have a knitty tuesday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to be appreciated! I love your first post for the challenge - and I love the "gift bomb" idea :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same as you ... I'm always happy to knit and give, knit and give (but only to those who appreciate it!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That baby is so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...