Saturday 5 May 2012

This Week in Knitting: Itsy Bitsy Spider Climbing up the Spout...

I'm currently knitting my first ever pair of socks and am starting to form an addiction with knitting them. They're all I think about knitting, they're all I ever want to knit, I stare at fingering weight yarn on the internet and also tend to stare at peoples feet. So, it made sense that the first pattern to kick off this weeks edition would be a sock.

©Lotta Groeger
These amazing socks are called Itsy Bitsy Spider & a Big One by Lotta Groeger. I looooove knee high socks, especially green, lacy knee high socks with big spiders on!

©Lotta Groeger
Now, don't be intimidated by the large amount of lace. Lotta herself says: "The lace pattern is easily memorized". What you might be scared of, is the fact that the socks are knitted toe up.

The pattern is available to download for £2.08 / $3.35, which is a bargain considering all the work Lotta must have put into it. The yarn she suggests you use is Sockenwolle 4fach by Zauberwiese. Unforunately, I couldn't find this amazing yarn outside of Germany, which is a shame as the yarn is gorgeous (I mean, check out this skein!), so here are a few of my yarn suggestions:

1. Yummy Fingering by Candy Skein ($20 / £12.38)   2. Polka Sock by Alice Dyes ($20 / £12. 38)

©Clare Lee
Spring is in the air, so what better to knit then the Spring Leafy Beret by Clare Lee. This is what Clare says about the pattern: "This breezy beret is knitted in all lace with a ribbed band, featuring mini-leaf lace. The crow is modified to retain its diamond shape.Rice in texture, but the easy-to-memorize base lace makes it a surprisingly quick knit -- great for a gift or quasi-instant gratification accessory for warm weather!"

I'm thinking of buying this pattern very soon (available to download for $3.99 / £2.54), as I just love this pattern! It looks like such a fun knit, a great stash buster (who doesn't have skeins and skeins of DK lounging around?!) and a wonderful gift (you might need to knit yourself one as well). 

The yarn she suggests you use is Tosh DK by Madelinetosh ($18 / £15.99), but here are a couple of other options for you to explore:

1. Cotlin by Knit Picks (£2.79 / £2.75) 2. Hand Dyed DK by Wandering Wool ($20 / £12.71)

©Diana Rozenshteyn
Keeping with the spring theme, our final pattern for today is Once Upon a Leaf by Diana Rozenshteyn. 

"Once Upon a Leaf is an airy lace shawl with beautiful winding leaves stitch pattner. Leaves evoke feelings of spring and summer, but this shawl would make a great accessory for any time of the year. The shawl is seamless and knitted top-down from the central neck stitches to the edge."

This beautiful pattern is available to download for $5 / £3.18. The yarn Diana suggests you use is Centolavaggi by Filatura Di Crosa ($19.95). Unfortunately I was only able to find the yarn in the States, so here are a few other options:

1. Superfine Lace Yarn by Joya Fibers ($16 / £10.17)

Remember this lovely cardigan pattern that was feautered in the last edition of This Week in Knitting

©Annie & Company
Well, the pattern is now available to purchase on the Knit Picks website!

So with that, I shall love you and leave you. Don't forget to tune in tomorrow for the first day of M.E Awareness Week! Every day for 10 days I will be releasing a free knitting pattern in aid of AYME.com, including fingerless mittens patterns, washcloths and even a new French Press Cozy! So pop on over tomorrow for the release of the Brain Fog Blanket.

Have a very knitty weekend!

4 thoughts:

  1. What fantastic socks!!

    Fleur xx

    ps, I have a knitted giveaway on my blog at the moment if you're interested. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those socks are the best I have ever seen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these posts. You don't leave anything out, and they are great fun. Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad to hear you, too, are becoming a sock addict ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here another Fleur who is a fan of your projects ;-)

    Love love love the green socks, I wonder what they would look like in a spectacular ultramarine kind of blue, which you know I am a sucker for! And I wonder if the socks could be knitted without the spiders on the back. I wouldn't want to feel like something was crawling all over me. You know me and spiders :-(

    Ciao, Fleur

    BTW - next time perhaps also mentioning euro's?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...