Sunday 29 April 2012

K&C Week Wildcard: Craft Your Perfect Day

I visited the Eden Project last year and fell in love with the place. My dream is to become a flower photographer so it was brilliant fun being able to photograph all the wonderful varieties of flowers and plants they have on show there.

That is why, if I were to craft my perfect day, I would host it at the Eden Project. Included in the fun would be a walk around the largest rainforest in captivity, inside this Biome is a Bamboo House, which is the perfect place to hold a picnic!

©ElfinKnits
After a good old fashioned picnic of exotic fruits and other delacies, my friends and I would have a knit and natter. The walk around the rainforest would have inspired me to knit Jungle Creepers by Sara Hayten! A beautiful sock pattern created to mimic the vines and vegetation growing in the rainforest.

Why this fascination with the rainforest?

Not only do I find it stunning, the heat and humidity of the rainforest actually kills the pain I'm constantly in. So much so I was able to get out of my wheelchair and walk around the exhibit without feeling a thing!

My friend says I should take up camp in the Bamboo House, walk around in my bikini and eat pineapples. Which I think sounds like a jolly good plan to me, although I scare myself in a bikini never mind passers-by, so perhaps for the sake of the mental health of others it would be wise for me to wear a tank top and shorts.

So once we're full of pineapple and have had a quick knit, it's time to move over to the Mediterranean biome! Taking in the wonderful scents of the perfumed herbs, strolling past olive trees and admiring the cork sculptures takes you on a real sensory journey through California, South Africa and the Mediterranean!

©Donna Griffin
What better thing to knit among the sunflowers, than Summer Flies by Donna Griffin. The butterfly and lace motif in the shawl are reminiscent of the beautiful butterflies rippling through the warm Mediterranean air.

After all this walking, it is time for a sit down. What better way to see the Eden Project than by riding the Tractor Train! (Also a great time to get a bit of knitting done!)

Final stop on our tour is a stroll through the gardens. See how plants are used for our medicines, fuel and food all over the world.

Take in the vibrant colours and scents of these beautiful flowers. From the common daffodil to exotic beauties, you can't help but be inspired!


It's time for another knitting break, and we let the beautiful gardens inspire our choice of pattern. I've chosen the Snapdragon Tam by Ysolda Teague. A gorgeous tam with petals growing organically in the open sections of the lattice cable pattern. Knitted in a vibrant colour to give it that summer feel. 

©Ysolda Teague
So, I do hope you've enjoyed my fantasy crafting day and I also hope you've enjoyed this weeks posts! It has been both inspiring and brilliant fun, writing these posts and reading those of others. Round of applause to Mimi for organising another year of crafting fun! I've learnt new ways of blogging and writing, discovered new blogs and seen how far I've come on my knitting journey. And in all honesty, if it wasn't for this meme last year I probably would have given up both blogging and knitting, so thank you Mimi!! 

6 thoughts:

  1. I've always wanted to go to the Eden project, it sounds like a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made Summer Flies a while back and loved working on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only been to the Eden Project once but I loved it too. We went on a gloriously sunny day, so everyone else was at the beach and it felt like we were the only ones there. I would love to go back again as the heat helps my pain too. I used a scooter though, I think pushing me in a wheelchair round all those hills would have killed my boyfriend LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I've never heard of the Eden Project, but it looks beautiful; great entry and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knitting on the little train around the Eden Project sounds fantastic - we could take the exotic food around with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, those jungle creepers rock. I love them.
    And too answer your question, yes, just sock yarn for the blanket.
    BTW - glad your back in the blogsphere :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...