Friday 8 June 2012

Finally, Something Finished!

I don't remember the last time I took part in FO Friday, but I'm pleased to be back! I have just the one FO to show you today, but at least it's something.

I am rarely moved enough by a pattern to cast it on immediately, especially such a big project as a blanket. This is what happened last month when I got the latest issue of Simply Knitting magazine, and I saw the pattern Hit the Road.

Mum's friend at the local art centre is due to have her first baby in August, so Mum asked if I would make her something. I had no ideas, until I saw Hit the Road, at which point I decided to make a baby blanket.

The blanket in the magazine uses 7 different colours, but I thought I would use just 3. I have a few pastel colours in my stash, most of which I've lost the ballband for. I do know though, that the yarns I used were Stylecraft Special DK in Wisteria and White, and what I think is Stylecraft Special Baby DK in Baby Lemon (have you noticed that I have a thing for Stylecraft yarn?).

The pattern is very simple, moss stitch stripe at the bottom and top, and then moss stitch bands on the side. Then all the rest in the middle is stocking stitch. The way you changed stripes was quite interesting, rather than just changing colour, you do a fair isle chart. With over 170 sts on the needle though, the fair isle rows did take a while!


As I didn't have enough yarn to do the full 9 stripes, I stopped at 7. Which turned out to be the perfect baby blanket size! It took me 10 days to knit, 


I'm quite pleased with how the colours go together, and I think I'll use this colour combo again in the future, and I think I will actually use this pattern again! 

The blanket is in the wash now, so I'll get it all hung, dry, and wrapped up to give to Roz on Monday. Let's hope she likes it!!

Remember on Wednesday I mentioned that I'd ordered yarn from Deramores.com? Well, it arrived this morning, just as I had casted off my beanie! (which I'll share with you next Friday) 



Sirdar Supersoft Aran, is for my niece's couch potato monster which she has been asking for for months, the Stylecraft Special 4 ply is for a pair of my own socks, and the Sirdar Country Style 4 ply is for a secret project which I'll be working on this weekend.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend, and before you go, check out the lovely blogs I'm linking up to today!

Photobucket






11 thoughts:

  1. The blanket is gorgeous. I love the yarn colors... The yarn you bought the other day is gorgeous too XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blanket. That is some speedy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors too! It looks great! And it went pretty fast too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I second the love of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely colors! A blanket is a pretty big accomplishment. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely little blanket and Wowsa....you got it done in 14 days....amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so pretty, congratulations on finishing your blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blankets are always a good idea. It looks great and is useful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the color combination in that blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blanket turned out lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! Such soothing colors in your blanket. Nice job, I always like to see seed stitch.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...