Tuesday 30 October 2012

The Non-Knittable Yarn

July of last year, when I was still in the process of learning how to knit (although to be honest, when do we ever stop learning?) I blogged about the Cable Bag I was making. I initially started knitting the bag with Patons Morocco Aran in Jade/Smaragd, a beautiful multi-textured, self-striping yarn. 

I can't get over at how messy my knitting was back then!
The first thing that struck me when knitting the bag, was that the yarn wasn't thick enough to be Aran. Sure, the dark blue aspect of of the yarn was Aran but the rest of the yarn, to me anyway, seemed slightly thinner that DK. Because of this, I realised the bag wasn't going to be strong enough to hold books etc, so I decided to frog it and try again in a different yarn.

I was then stuck with three skeins of this yarn, and no clue what to make with it. I had a flick through my book Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner, and found the pattern 'Lacy Wrap'.

When I was about halfway through knitting the shawl up, I realised that I would never wear it! So, I decided to frog that project as well.

I've had this yarn in my stash for a year now, and I desperately want to have another go with it. As I've had no luck finding the perfect pattern, I decided I would just design a pattern myself. 

I want to design something that'll not only make the yarn look great, but that is quick and easy to knit. I have a feeling I'd like cables incorporated but with a lacy twist. The only thing that I have decided on, is that it is going to be a scarf. As that is probably the simplest thing for a new knitter to create :) (plus I need another scarf!)

I'm about to start swatching for the design, and will show you my efforts tomorrow. If you have any ideas that I could incorporate into the pattern, then please let me know. Either through a comment, or a Ravelry message :)

2 thoughts:

  1. Hmmm, this looks like something for a lighter scarf. I like to poke around noble knits.com to get some ideas for lacy scarfs, cowls, shrugs, and wraps too! Hope this helps!
    Thea

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lacy look is much better for this yarn, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...