Wednesday 27 April 2011

WIP Wednesday: Eyelets, Variegated Yarn and Cable - Oh My!

Despite the lovely weather we have been having recently, my joint pain has been wreaking havoc for me. So, on Monday I decided enough was enough and started knitting myself some Fingerless Wrist Warmers, as my wrists are the ones that are the worst at the moment.

The pattern is from the book Knitty Gritty: Knitting For The Absolute Beginner, and requires any double knit yarn. It just so happens that a few weeks ago I was walking around my local yarn shop and came across some lovely purple variegated yarn in the clearance basket. I quickly snatched it into my arms before the two old ladies behind me could guess what I was doing (after this, they were looking at me very suspiciously the whole time I was in the shop...) and charged my way to the checkout. 

I decided to start this project while sitting out in the sun watching my neighbours guinea pigs run around the garden. Before I knew it, it was 5:30pm and it was time for tea, and I had done 7 of the 9 required pattern repeats. This morning, I quickly finished the last two repeats and my doesn't it look nice!

Fingerless Wrist Warmers
As you can see the pattern requires stocking stitch, a stitch which I normally don't enjoy. But I have quite enjoyed it on this pattern, possibly because of the clever eyelets! To make them, you simply put the yarn forward as if you were going to purl, but instead knit two together. This keeps the same amount of stitches while creating this beautiful eyelet pattern!

My second WIP is the Cable Project Bag, again from Knitty Gritty: Knitting For The Absolute Beginner. If you remember, during Knitting & Crochet Blogging Week, I blogged 'Something to Aspire to'. In that post, I explained that one of my goals is to learn to cable, so that I can knit such designs as the Cable Project Bag. Well I am very pleased to tell you that...

I did it!

I learnt to cable! I am very pleased, as it opens up a lot of (knitting) doors for me! 

As I wasn't very well on Saturday, my Mum popped into the Yarn Shop for me and bought two balls of Wisteria Double Knit Special (Because I am xD) by Stylecraft and two cable needles for sizes 2mm-5mm needles.

On Sunday I started the pattern and so far I have knitted 30cm of the 60 that the bag requires (that is without the two 25cm handles I have to knit as well!).



Cable close up... 

The pattern actually calls of Aran Yarn, but I forgot to tell my Mum, so I won't be able to store books in this bag as it won't be able to take it. Instead I will use it for storing my current WIPs!

I may have mentioned this before, but on Saturday I will be going away for the weekend. On the Sunday I will be wearing my new dress I was given. So I will *try* and knit another Cable Project Bag in the dark blue Aran Yarn I spotted at my local yarn shop. At least I will have something to do while in the car on the journey down to the hotel! Well my readers, I shall leave you in peace. See you all on Friday! (I might have something completed by then, who knows!)
My Dress, encase any of you were wondering.... Click the pic to be taken to the online store! (UK readers only - sorry!)

6 thoughts:

  1. Well done on the cables, and that dress is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cables look amazing. I'm sure your wrist warmers will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo lovely dress!! And lovely colour purple! Hope the wrist warmers work/help!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on learning the cable, it will look awesome with your dress. Hope you're feeling better.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. cheers on learning cables! but beware - they are pretty addictive. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY for cable knitting! I have yet to do it myself, so I totally understand not having all the beautiful patterns available. It must feel like a breath of fresh air.

    Oh, and I'm not a dress person normally but LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...