Wednesday 25 January 2012

A Big Mac Just Fell Out of the Sky!


As I sit here, in my jogging pants and sweatshirt trying to keep an eye on my 3 year old niece as she dances around the room with empty biscuit boxes and orange juice cartons while attempting to write about my lace hat as the fluffy monster that is my dog Lilo, sits on my lap and part of the laptop.


It isn't going well.

And neither is my hat. 

I'm making the Reversible Lace Beanie Hat (no picture on Ravelry as of yet!) from Issue 88 of Simply Knitting (just found this magazine, and I am in love with it. Best magazine I've found so far!) for my little sister Katy. She looks great in hats, which makes me very jealous as I tend to look like Goofy from the Disney channel when I try and wear one.

I'm using Albero by Louisa Harding, that I bought back in September from The Cornwall Yarn Shop down in Launceston. So soft it's unbelievable, unfortunately it did split when I ripped back a row which meant that I knitted the split stitches, thinking they were actual stitches. Which meant the pattern went wrong and I had to rip back another round. But of course that made the stitches split, and then the cycle went round again and again until I got so annoyed I stuffed the it away into the Yarn Box for a time out. I then decided I don't like knitting in the round and will never do it again.

The hat is knitted in the round, and other than my socks (which I messed up as well. But it really wasn't my fault, the pattern is written wrong, honest!) I haven't had much experience with knitting in this way. While I was knitting my socks I decided I didn't like DPNs and much prefer circular needles. So when I decided to cast on this project I headed over to YouTube and learnt how to do Magic Loop.

Once you know how, Magic Loop is really easy and you don't need to worry about losing a DPN (which I did on several occasions) as you have both your needles there all the time. I'm hoping you can knit socks with magic loop, because if you can I will definitely start knitting them again.

Anyway, back to the hat. Another additional factor to the meltdown and time out was because stitches started disappearing, and no matter how many rounds I rip back, I cannot find them. I've looked at each stitch very carefully (a magnifying glass almost came out at one point!) but to no avail.

So, to finally get to my point, I am thinking of frogging the entire thing and starting again. I know that it is a very drastic thing to do but I think in the long run it'll all be worth it. I'm off to say my farewells. It was nice knowing you, Reversible Beanie Hat I. May your successor, Reversible Beanie Hat II, live long and prosper.


I'm off to look for that Big Mac, perhaps it'll be at the end of the rainbow with that massive pot of gold I see in the distance... meanwhile, head on over Tami's where she is hosting some WIP Wednesday fun!

16 thoughts:

  1. Love the title! I am no help with dpn or lace, haven't tried either yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd frog. It's just annoying if it's not right. It might just be one of those projects where you have to count your stitches every round and string in frequent lifelines :) You can do it! Long live Reversible Beanie II!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As difficult as it is sometimes the best thing is to just rip it out and start again. You'll be happier in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the ripping went well, looking forward to meeting hat 2. You can do socks magic loop, in fact you can even do them two at a time that way

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hat looks great, I'm sure it will be worth a second knit. I learned magic loop just for socks so you can definitley do it! It is easier and faster once you get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool projects. That yarn for the lace hat is awesomely fancy.
    I say, whatever makes you happy in regards to froggin' that reversible hat and starting over. I would do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Sounds like I'm not the only one having hats problems. You are the second one today that I've come across. Well, here's to good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are frustrated and the hat isn't as you want it--frog it!! You want to be really happy with the end product. I love the colour yarn you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great yarn. I'd frog it and make something I could enjoy making. I usually rip out once after I go wrong and then give up,lol c x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Just want to say thank you for this interesting article! =) Peace, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes a little time apart makes all the difference! If I have ripped out a project a few times I now put it away for a couple of months, when I get it out again I am refreshed ann often have no problems again! Lovely colour yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ah hem... great name for a blog post, did you come up with that all by yourself? :P xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Abbie

    I hired someone, actually :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really, they are really good at it!

    You should give that person a promotion to Executive Blog Writer Person x

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Abbie

    Naaaah, they said they wanted to be de-moted :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...