Saturday 28 April 2012

K&C Week Day 6: Improving Your Skillset

Considering that this time last year I was just learning to purl, I think my knitting has come on in leaps and bounds. Last year, in the post 'Something to Aspire to' I told you about the different skills I would like to learn over the coming year, and I'm pleased to say that I've learnt all but one!

"Well, as I am new to knitting there is so much I would love to learn. The stitch that I am most looking forward to doing, is cable. I just think it looks so beautiful..."

I'm pleased to say that I learnt to cable not long after that post was written. I've used it in bags, mittens and more recently a beret!

Two projects which I had planned on knitting over the year were Fetching by Cheryl Niameth and 16 Cable Hat by Circé Belles. The reason I haven't knitted them, is simply because I've only just started knitting in the round. I'm going to add them to my list again though, so hopefully by this time next year they will be sat on my Ravelry Project Page under finished.

"One item I aspire to make is a shawl. My Nan has crocheted many, and after hearing her ramblings I'm pretty scared of taking on such a big challenge. But I admire those who have tried and succeeded."

Again, this is something I still aspire to do. I plan to make Dragonfly Wings by Boo Knits using Colinette Jitterbug that my Mum bought me last year.  I'm not sure if the 'Florentina' colourway will be too busy for the pattern, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Other things on my 'To Knit' list are to finish my first pair of socks. I want to thank everyone who commented a couple of weeks ago when I asked for beginner sock patterns. I finally chose to knit the 8 Stitches per Inch Socks by Ann Budd. I'm finding the pattern really easy to understand, and really recommend her book 'Getting Started Knitting Socks' to anyone starting on the sock path.

My Branching Out Scarf
Other things I hope to achieve my next year, is to have knitted my first toy using the book The Big Book of Knitted Monsters by Rebecaa Danger. My eldest niece Tilly saw the book in my bedroom a while go and ever since has asked me for 'a monster please Aunty Charly, made with your noodle mitters'. So Tilly, by this time next year I hope you'll be the proud owner of many monsters! And if you don't, then I think you have no choice but to banish me from the kingdom.

The final skill I would like to learn, is simple lace. I had a taster of it when I was knitting my Branching Out scarf (which unfortunately fell of the needles and frogged itself "/ ), so I hope to step it up by knitting the Winter Haven Scarf by Aimee Alexander. I hope to use the King Cole Galaxy DK in Red that my Mum bought me a few months ago. This would be the perfect scarf for my friend Carol, who is always looking for bright but elegant scarves. So hopefully this will be finished by November!

So that is my skill set list all completed, and I'm looking forward to reviewing it next year to see how I did. Most of the projects I've listed will be added to my 2012-2013 Year of Projects list, which means I have to knit them over the coming year. Bring it on!

5 thoughts:

  1. Your year ahead sounds full of lovely challenges! Enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dragonfly shawl is beautiful. I think the yarn you chose is lovely, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it nice to look back and realize what you have learned?? Ah, lace work .. that will be exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work, and nice progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am amazed at how far you have come in a year! Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...