Thursday 11 October 2012

Rizzle's Sparkling Beano Beanie

While Rizzle* was in hospital, I ended up living on my own for a few days for the first time ever. To distract me from worrying too much, I read an awful lot (the Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw was amazing), watched the first series of Downton Abbey (which I managed to score for £3 brand spanking new!) and knitted a simple yet satisfying Beanie.

I chose the pattern Katahdin by Kate Gagnon Osborn, a lovely pattern that I hope rises to fame soon. The first skeins of yarn I came across were King Cole Galaxy DK in Venus (plain black) & Red. I am kind of obsessed with this yarn. I have 2 skeins in Mars, 1 in Venus, 1 in Jupiter & 2 in Red. (Deramores have even more colourways, I especially love the Fushia & Pink)

Galaxy is luxuriously soft as it is a mixture of 65% Acrylic, 31% Wool & 4% Soft Payette. It also has silver sequins sewn into the yarn at random intervals, making it shimmer when you move your knitting.

Katahdin is simply a 3 inch rib brim, then you use a very clever jogless stripe pattern for the body. It knits up really quickly, and is a lovely mindless knit so you can get lost in the rhythm of yarn forward, purl, yarn back, knit.

I gave it to Rizzle as a gift when I had finished knitting it, and this afternoon she felt well enough to do a 5 minute photo shoot with me. Here are the results! (and check out her new ombre hair Mum did for her at home)



Swaaaaaaaag!
I'll definitely knit this again, it is a great fall-back pattern if you need to knit a quick gift for someone :)

My 'Tulisa' Beanie is almost finished, I am onto the crown (not sure what I'm talking about? Check out this post) and will be off the needles by this evening, so I can show you the finished result tomorrow, then release the pattern on Saturday.

Have a lovely Thursday! x

* Little Sis' new nickname...

4 thoughts:

  1. The hat (and your little sister) are so cute! I love the stripes and the sparkly bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hat looks great, I agree that Galaxy is a super yarn. Where did you find your Downton bargain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely adding that adorable hat to my queue. My teenage daughter has been asking for a slouchy beanie and I haven't seen this one before -- it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! I like how the sequins are not too close together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! Hope you have a lovely, yarn filled day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...